[tracker2] Versatality and simplicity of OTUSB?
n7chs@centurylink.net [tracker2]
2018-01-06 19:45:31 UTC
Is the OTUSB easily switched from a KISS tnc (WinLink) to APRS tracker?

I spend my spring and summers on the road in my motorhome. While mobile I want the OTUSB to accept data from my GlobalSat BR-355 and transmit my position through my IC-2200 to local APRS receivers. When stopped reconfigure the OTUSB to act as a tnc for WinLink communication.
Has anyone successfully performed these functions? Is re-configuring OTUSB from KISS to APRS problematic? Should i bite the bullet and just by two separate radios that perform these functions? I did a quick search of this groups history and found no relevant information. Again it was a quick search. Appreciate any and all help. Thanks, Chuck N7CHS
Scott Miller scott@opentrac.org [tracker2]
2018-01-08 18:41:05 UTC

You could set up two different profiles and wire up a switch to
determine if it comes up in KISS or tracker configuration.  And
depending on what you're doing, you might not need to change setups at
all - you can configure the USB port for KISS, and use the serial port
for the GPS and set the OTUSB up with a separate SSID from the Winlink
station.

Scott
N1VG
help.  Thanks, Chuck N7CHS
Chuck Berry n7chs@centurylink.net [tracker2]
2018-01-08 20:09:10 UTC
I apologize for my ignorance, would you mind elaborating more about this
statement.

set the OTUSB up with a separate SSID from the Winlink station.

It is extremely doubtful that I would operate both sides of the OTUSB at
the same time.  I anticipate operating the unit as a APRS transmitter
while moving then as a KISS tnc for Winlink while stationary.

Thanks for your help.  Chuck N7CHS
Hi,
help.  Thanks, Chuck N7CHS
Scott Miller scott@opentrac.org [tracker2]
2018-01-12 00:29:14 UTC
Post by Chuck Berry ***@centurylink.net [tracker2]
I apologize for my ignorance, would you mind elaborating more about
this statement.
set the OTUSB up with a separate SSID from the Winlink station.
In KISS mode, the host program composes packets and will use whatever
callsign and SSID combination you give it.  The tracker, on its own, has
a particular callsign + SSID configured.  You don't have to make them
different, but because the tracker tries to handle APRS messaging on its
own it'll conflict with the host program if you use APRS messaging.  For
Winlink it probably won't matter.  I'd just leave it with USB in KISS
mode all the time, and plug in the GPS receiver when you want the
tracker to operate as an independent tracker.

Scott

'Leon S.Ciereszko III' n4tcw@yahoo.com [tracker2]
2018-01-09 16:24:11 UTC
Any chance of adding digitpeating to the OTUSB? My use case is that
I plan on using whatever unit I get permanently attached to a commercial
radio in the vehicle that will only be used for digital modes. It will
mostly be used as an APRS client but I would like to be able to switch to an
APRS or packet digi (without a computer) or WinLink client(with a computer).
Any suggestions?

Lee N4TCW

Where's Lee?
http://map.findu.com/n4tcw
Scott Miller scott@opentrac.org [tracker2]
2018-01-10 23:39:49 UTC
Not for the existing OTUSB hardware, no.  There's just not enough RAM to
do it well.  I'm working on a successor to the Tracker3 series, though,
and once that's done the OTUSB will probably get an update as well.

Scott
N1VG